Thursday, February 10, 2022

The Amazing Isy Aboagye Takes Her Talent to Screens Across Canada in CBC's Ukulele U

 


We were thrilled to learn that one of our Stuff to do KW families had some very big news! The amazing Isy Aboagye is starring in the new CBC Kids Saturday Morning Show and CBC Gem Streaming Show Ukulele U!



Many local families know that Isy has been performing locally at events like Kitchener Bluesfest and singing the National Anthem at KW Titans game.  We wanted to learn more about Isy's journey to our television and video screens across Canada so we asked her five questions about it.

Thanks to Isy for taking some time out of her hectic schedule for this interview and to her Mom Danielle for helping us set it up!



1. How did this role come about?
 I work with an agent in Toronto and audition for a lot of roles. Since COVID, most of the auditions are done online, so I sent in an audition tape and then had an opportunity to audition over Zoom with the Director, David Connolly, Melanie Doanethe Host, and a couple of other people. I had to learn some new songs and a couple of dances and then we just had some fun! I found out a few weeks later that I got the part and I was so excited! We recorded all of the music individually in a recording studio in Toronto and then finally got to meet the rest of the cast on the first day of filming in Hamilton. 

2. What is your favorite part of being on the show?
 Number one is the Music! The songs are so catchy and fun to sing and listen to. Everyone who has heard the music loves it! There are new versions of old classics and Melanie made some amazing new songs too! I also loved that I got to make so many new friends. It was so nice to be able to sing and dance with other people after we had been in quarantine for so long. We had to take a lot of precautions to be safe, but we still managed to have so much fun together. I’m so happy that I met everyone and that I made some really great friends. 

3. What advice do you have for other kids looking to follow this path? 
You need to practice, take classes and have fun! I take Vocal, Guitar/Ukulele and Acting lessons. It’s a lot of work to memorize new scripts and songs for auditions, but every opportunity gives you a chance to learn something new. Also, don’t get discouraged! You might audition for 100 roles and only get one, just keep being you and working hard. 

4. Who are your role models?
I really look up to a lot of musicians, especially older blues music icons like Etta James. I also really love more modern musicians like SZA, Alica Keys or Adele! I love the opportunity to learn from musicians. I’ve been really lucky that Kitchener has some really cool musicians who I look up to and who take the time to work with younger musicians like myself. When they take the time to mentor younger musicians, we get to learn so much and I really hope they know how much we appreciate their time and that they are role models to a lot of people like myself. 

5. What are your future plans?
I am going to keep working on becoming a better musician and actor. I am excited to be back to school and look forward to being able to hang out with friends and just be a normal teenager. I also can’t wait for everyone to see the new episodes of Ukulele U that come out every Saturday on CBC and stream on CBC Gem.

For more info visit these links

3 comments: