I know many of you may expect this to be a sponsored post, but it's not! It was just a fun experience I wanted to share with our readers.
What Is A Watermelon Keg?Last month we were at an ECS Coffee demonstration. They were showing some of their summer items and while many would use the Watermelon Keg Tapping Kit for summer patio drinks they demonstrated it with, the idea of using lemonade gave me an idea. With my nephew and niece visiting from British Columbia I thought it would be a great way to brighten up a rainy day. Together we made this time lapse video to show how easy and fun the Watermelon Keg can be.
How To Set Up The Watermelon Keg Tapping KitI did most of it by memory from the demo I attended but realized after that the instructions were on the side of the box as well. While the time lapse video is less than 30 seconds it took about a half an hour to set up the keg and another hour for the watermelon to flavour the drink.
- Make a thin slice across the bottom of the watermelon so it sits flat
- Carve the top off a watermelon, similar in the way that you carve the top of a pumpkin and set aside.
- Grab a big bowl for the upcoming 'kid steps'
- Give the child an ice cream scoop to remove the inside of the watermelon (again think of cleaning out a pumpkin) and have them scoop it into a bowl
- Take the "core" tools provided (yes it is sharp) in the kit and puncture it through the watermelon
- Then attach the tap (in the video you'll see I started to put it on backwards at first, but the crank goes on the inside and then you can attach the spigot to the front of the watermelon.
- Pour lemonade or "drink of your choice" into the watermelon with ice to let it chill and meld the flavour of the watermelon into the lemonade (an hour or so). If you have room set it in the fridge instead of adding ice.
- It's hard to wait for the fun drink to be ready, but while you're waiting why not snack on some of that watermelon you scooped into the bowl? (be careful to watch for seeds though)