Tips For Saving Money In Canada
This post was inspired by an inquiry on the Bargain Hunting Momma Facebook Group. Also make sure to check out my friend Jennifer's Bargain Hunting Momma blog for great info!
As you know we've been posting about Low Cost And Free Events in the Kitchener Waterloo Area here on the Stuff To Do With Your Kids In Kitchener Waterloo blog since 2009. The blog came from our need to take each of our kids to events that didn't have us breaking the bank.
We would run into people that would say "Hey I didn't see you at the Firefighter Open House (or insert family friendly event here). Our response was "Had we known about it we would have been there" We found many other parents felt the same way and so this blog and facebook group was born.
Beyond events we are pretty proud of how frugal we are. Here are some ways we save and can help you on your saving journey as well.
The DOs and DON'Ts of Saving Money
- Visit our Online Coupons For Canadians Pinterest board
- Watch Gail Vaz Oxlade's Til Debt Do Us Part. You can learn a lot from this show.
- Don't buy something just because it's on sale. If you don't need it right now, save up for when you can actually afford it.
- Don't use your credit cards for shopping. Only use them for car repair emergencies, parking lot machines and reserving hotels (but let the booking agent know you will be paying cash for your stay)
- Read the post on how to Save Money On Cell Phone, Home Phone, TV and Internet
- Pay extra funds to your mortage (also fall under #2), imagine how much extra money you'll have a month if once your mortage is paid off
- Don't buy a big house. A big house means more electricty to light, higher heating bills, more grass to cut etc
- Always have a full meal at home before you head out. Places like movie theatres expect you to buy large snacks to get you through the next few hours. If you have just had a meal, there is a good chance you won't need all that extra stuff. Check out this blog post for more ways to save money at the movie theatre
- If you have a spot for a garden, start a garden. My friend Jane knows a lot about urban gardens, so be sure to check out her Fresh Endeavours Facebook Page.
- Find ways to use what you have grown like this one coming up at the Kitchener Market Bernardin canning: Thursday, Apr. 23, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Looking for a way to store your produce longer, or to transform it into a useful preserve? The second part of our Bernardin Canning workshop, water bath canning, is a technique that can be used on your vegetables, fruits, jams, jellies, and pickles. * This class costs $2 email
- Enter online contests to for free stuff!
- Price match! Unlike the USA we don't have double coupon days, but we have price matching!
- Extra savings if you price match and have a coupon to apply to the savings
- Staycation! Find lots of Stuff To Do in your area! Finding low cost events in your area will also save you on gas (and possibly parking)
- Be environmentally friendly by re-using items