Levées are the receptions (usually, but not necessarily, on New Year's Day) held by the governor general, the lieutenant governors of the provinces, the military and others, to mark the start of another year and to provide an opportunity for the public to pay their respects.
Most levées may be attended by any citizen, including children. Attending the lieutenant governor's levée is an annual ritual for some families.
Today the levée has evolved from the earlier, more boisterous party into a more sedate and informal one. It is an occasion to call upon representatives of the monarch, military and municipal governments and to exchange New Year's greetings and best wishes for the new year, to renew old acquaintances and to meet new friends. It is also an opportunity to reflect upon the events of the past year and to welcome the opportunities of the New Year.
- Vintage Carnival Games and Inflatable Hose Hockey from Grand River Inflatables
- Balloon shape artist Bubbles the Clown
- Bre-Creative face painting
- Magician from Big Smiles Company
- Live musical performance by local jazz singer and pianist, Tim Louis
- Skating on Carl Zehr Square
- Kitchener Public Library craft table
- KW Sidewinders Sledgehockey Performance
- Free skating from 1 - 3 p.m.
- Free swimming from 2:05 - 4 p.m.
- Free face painting and clowning around with Bre Creative
- Live entertaining featuring Erick Traplin, Grand River Swing Band, Crossing Borders
- Free cookies and refreshments while quantities last!
Sunday, January 8, 2017 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Address: 50 Dickson St., Cambridge City Hall - Bowman RoomEvent Details: Please join Mayor Doug Craig and members of Cambridge City Council for Free family-friendly, children's activities and a little holiday cheer as we celebrate the New Year.
Join MPP Catherine Fife at Golf’s Steak House for her annual New Year’s Levee!
Sunday, January 15, 2017
11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Golf’s Steak House, 598 Lancaster St. W., Kitchener
Brunch and refreshments will be provided http://catherinefife.com/youre-invited-2017-new-years-levee